Amma´s Australian Ashram - To Love and Serve
Amma´s Australian Ashram – DEVELOPMENT PROJECT
AUM AMRITESHWARIYAH NAMAH
A SPIRITUAL CENTRE FOR ALL
Dear Amma's Children,
M.A. Centre (Aust) Foundation is excited to announce that following final planning approval from Frankston City Council on 16 April 2012 Amma has given her approval to commence building works for further development of Amma's Australian Ashram in Carrum Downs, Victoria.
Amma says that the purpose of her ashrams or centres are to provide a "place where people can devote all their time and energy to the remembrance of God, doing selfless service and developing qualities such as love, patience and respect for others".
Amma's Australian Ashram, which was founded in 2006, is located on 2.023ha in a semi-rural setting an hour south from central Melbourne. Amma has visited the ashram several times, and also stayed in the current premises during the last three tours held in Melbourne. Many of Amma's senior Swamis have conducted programs, pujas and homas at the ashram. During the 2010 tour, Amma gave instructions to further develop and expand the ashram's activities as a spiritual and community centre.
The development plans include upgrading the current house, building a meditation and program hall, a new dining area with servery onto a landscaped courtyard, commercial kitchen, ablution block with toilets and showers, 2 cabins for visiting guests, new storage shed and workshop and extra car parking.
When the project is completed the Ashram will offer a beautiful location for various programs including satsangs, spiritual retreats, festivals on holy days, along with yoga, and meditation classes. The ashram will also host activities related to youth and environmental programs such as those organised by AYUDH, GreenFriends and Balakendra groups. Further, people can participate in various selfless seva such as volunteering to feed the poor and care for the needy. Daily programs including archana, bhajans and arati will also continue. The additional facilities will also better support residential programs for those attracted to Amma's teachings from local, interstate and overseas. Visitors will be able to partake in healthy and conscious living practices in tranquil surroundings.
This development is a major step towards building a Centre that will help promote Amma's vision for a more loving and caring society based on spiritual and cultural activities.
Ashram Development – Update Following Amma’s 2012 Tour
Amma's Ashram redevelopment is steadily progressing since Her visit in April this year. Amma was pleased to see the various renovations undertaken in the existing building . She has also given her blessings for the next phase which involves the building of the main hall, kitchen and other facilities.
Already since tour end we have completed the installation of a new eco-friendly septic system - a Worm Farm Waste System which will be connected to both the existing property and the new development.
Prior to Amma’s tour much was accomplished to renovate and upgrade the existing ashram premises. Internally new plumbing, skylights, rendering of the old dark brickwork, new flooring in the bedrooms and extensive painting has taken place. The result is a vastly improved, more functional, lighter and brighter ashram. External work has centered on the planned pergola courtyard and is taking shape. Heartfelt congratulations to all involved in the renovation efforts for their tireless work.
We are now proceeding to finalise options for a surface water drainage system for the whole site, building permits for the hall and new ablutions block , erection of the dining area, internal roads, car parking and the deceleration road to the entrance of the ashram.
Originally the development plans involved a two phased project but during the Gold Coast retreat in April 2012 Amma advised that we should proceed with both stages of the project simultaneously.
Stages completed as at May 2012 include:
- Planning and permit applications;
- Renovation, upgrading and improvements to existing premises – both internal and external;
- Pre-construction planning necessary to obtain Vic Roads approval to proceed with deceleration road at entrance to ashram;
- Installation of eco-friendly Worm Farm Waste System connected to both the existing property and the new development.
Staged works to complete include:
Drainage and site preparation, internal road construction, new storage and workshop sheds, Hall construction and fit out, ablution block, dining hall construction, upgrading the old garage to a commercial kitchen and servery, courtyard pergola, 2 cabins for accommodation, deceleration road construction, extensions to car parking and electrical works.
Estimated Completion date is May 2013.
*Total Estimated Project cost: $ 750,000
Since Amma first indicated we undertake this exciting new development we have been able to raise $270,000 towards project costs. Your financial assistance is much needed to complete the project.
Under the guidance of the MA Centre directors, the Ashram Development Committee (ADC) has been formed to coordinate the restructure plans. Its members comprise volunteer experts (both local and interstate) in architecture, town planning, fund-raising and building in general.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
- Direct Financial Assistance - options are:
- A one off cash donation;
- A periodic pledge (e.g. monthly, quarterly, etc) see below for payment details.
- Offers of Non-Financial Assistance and Volunteer of Services will be gratefully accepted. If interested in donating your services or any building materials please contact the ashram manager, Mani Kalimuthu (0425 114447) or Manfred Riehl on (0423 417520).
- Become Involved in Fund-raising Activities: If you have fund-raising ideas, or would like to volunteer your services, please contact Nava Subramaniam (0415 966375) – ADC Fund raising coordinator.
Some suggested activities include home satsang/fund-raiser dinners; movie dinners; a cultural / musical show organisation; cookery classes, and garage sales. All ideas and suggestions are most welcome. Please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your continued help and support is essential to fulfilling Amma's vision for our redeveloped ashram.
To make a donation, you may pay:
- On-line: Donations can be made by credit card (Mastercard or Visa only) through the web site www.ammaaustralia.org.au. Click on the Donation Icon on the home page and choose ‘Ashram Fund’. Our donation system can handle periodical credit card payments of once only, monthly, every 2 months or 3 months. Select Frequency and click your choice. This is a secure payment site.
The direct link to the donation site is:
- Direct Debit: Please send an email to email@example.com requesting the banking details and requirements.
- By mail: Cheques/Money Orders (made payable to: M.A. Centre (Aust) Pty Ltd “Australian Ashram Fund”) and send to MA Centre (Aust) Pty Ltd, P.O. Box 2587 Cheltenham, Vic 3192
*To those who have contributed and continue to support the ashram, we are most grateful and hope you will continue your support.
In Amma's Service
The Ashram Development Committee
Aum Namah Shivaya
“When the deep spiritual yearning of the disciple basks
in the effulgence of the guru’s grace, an ashram is born.
There one grows in peace and harmony” ~ AMMA